Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

R.I.P. Ms. Melodie of Boogie Down Productions


(from the Global Grind)

Ms. Melodie of the hit '80s rap posse Boogie Down Productions has died, according to the Urban Daily.

Born Romona Parker in Brooklyn, New York, the rap star rose to fame with a cameo in the 1988 song "Self Destruction" alongside Heavy D, MC Lyte and Kool Moe Dee.

She was also known for her mega singles, "Hype According to Ms. Melodie," "Live on Stage" and a memorable cameo in Queen Latifah's "Ladies First" video.

Her first and only album, Diva, was released in 1989 via Jive Records.

Ms. Melodie is the ex-wife of legendary rapper KRS-One, who produced much of her debut album. She was survived by two sons.

A cause of death has not been released.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

REST IN PEACE Ms Melode.
I saw Cool Mo Dee on UNSUNG last night and it was good to know that he has NEVER done drugs or drank because it destroyed his familey when he was a child. I really enjoyed "SELF DISTRUCTION"
MaDear Loves Ya

Cappuccino Soul said...

Hey MaDear,
Kook Moe Dee is definitely cool. One of the few who had a level head and lots of common sense.

Self Destruction is a masterpiece, for real! I'm so sad about Ms. Melodie....may she rest in peace.

Love back at ya,
alicia

Anonymous said...

What?!

-C

Cappuccino Soul said...

Yes, girl. Ain't it sad? I was really sad about it.

Anonymous said...

It is like my teen years are just dying away.

-C

Cappuccino Soul said...

Remember: We don't know the day or the hour.....It is sad, though, that so many are dying so young.

Anonymous said...

So very true….I was reflecting on how many ppl I grew up with never made it to this age or younger. Thank you Lord for your Grace which is sufficient.
-C

Cappuccino Soul said...

Amen and AMEN! I too can think of several people that I grew up with who didn't make it to now. We are blessed.

Alicia

Cappuccino Soul said...

I said to myself, I wonder where they are. Then I thought "the Schomberg Center" and then I saw the nameplate on the podium that said "Schomberg Center"! Man, I'm good. :-)