Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Friday, January 14, 2011

MLK Film at American Film Institute (Silver Spring, Md.)

If you happen to be in the Washington, D.C. area on the Martin Luther Kind holiday Monday, you've got to check this out.

Annual Martin Luther King, Jr., Day Celebration

KING: MONTGOMERY TO MEMPHIS

Special FREE Event! Monday, January 17, 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m.

A riveting compilation of documentary footage of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., from the Montgomery bus boycott to the "I Have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial, from the dogs of Selma to the Nobel Prize and the fateful motel balcony in Memphis. With narration and commentary from Sidney Poitier, James Earl Jones, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Charlton Heston, Harry Belafonte, Ruby Dee, Clarence Williams III and others. Co-directed and produced by Hollywood notables Sidney Lumet and Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

Directed by Sidney Lumet and Joseph L. Mankiewicz; Written and Produced by Ely Landau and Richard Kaplan. Filmed in 1970 (black and white), 185 min. This film is not rated.

Tickets are available at the AFI Silver box office on the day of the show only, limit 4 tickets per person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there. Do your aunt still work in DC? I know that one is retired. I pray that someone in the family will make it. Maybe Mary and Bobby.
Thanks for the info.

Love MaDear

Cappuccino Soul said...

MaDear,
Oh how I wish I could go too. Yes, I have a few relatives who work in D.C., including Auntie T. Somehow I don't think they'll make it though. I KNOW my parents won't. Oh well, maybe PBS will show it soon.
Love ya!
alicia