Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Friday, September 13, 2013

The Thunder, Perfect Mind


I'm compiling pieces for upcoming performances and this will definitely be included in my repertoire -- From the Nag Hammadi (The Thunder, Perfect Mind - excerpt):

I am the first and the last.
I am the honored one and the scorned one.
I am the whore and the holy one.
I am the wife and the virgin.
I am the mother and the daughter.
I am the members of my mother.
I am the barren one
and many are her sons.

A friend asked what's the back story on this excerpt and I thought the answer provided such good information that I'm including the anwer here:

"The Thunder, Perfect Mind" is a poem discovered among the Gnostic manuscripts at Nag Hammadi in 1945.  An Egyptian peasant found the manuscripts, which date back to the 3rd century A.D. The Gospel of Thomas is also among those writings found. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deep my siesta! What's the back story?

Cappuccino Soul said...

This is such a good question that I'm going to include the answer in the post. Thanks for asking!

Peace,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information, the facts, but the backstory is what was going on with this woman?, what's the context? What was going on in Egypt in 1945? what town did she stay in? Was it a dictatorship? Were their Kings? What's the other part of the poem? I want to know more.......

Cappuccino Soul said...

It's a poem -- allegory. The story isn't real, but it's communicating something through the "story", words, and images. Also, it was written in the 3rd Century A.D. -- but not found until 1945. It's from the Nag Hammadi findings. I think you'll be very intrigued once you look up the Nag Hammadi documents.