Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Film: The Black Candle


This might be the last day of Kwanzaa (Imani), but that shouldn't prevent you from seeing the film The Black Candle: A Kwanzaa Celebration, directed by MK Asante and narrated by Madame Maya Angelou. Asante's film not only tells the story of the meaning, history and legacy of Kwanzaa, it also tells the provocative story of the African journey from a stripped and tortured people to the descendants who continue to tell their ancestors' stories, struggles, defeats and victories. This film calls for Africans in the diaspora to live the principles of the Nguzo Saba with courage and conviction.

Take a look at The Black Candle:



Visit the Web site for the film to find our more about it and how you can sponsor showings of The Black Candle

And if you haven't guessed, we need to practice these principles ALL YEAR LONG. A luta continua!

1 comment:

Cappuccino Soul said...

This is my response to someone who asked if I did anything to celebrate Kwanzaa this year:

I went to a Kwanzaa event at the Gantt Center for African American Arts and Culture on the 5th day of Kwanzaa and saw that marvelous film! I was quite surprised by its depth. I actually had tears in my eyes at a few points. Perhaps next Kwanzaa I'll host a showing of it. But what I took from it was that we should really practice the Seven Principles all year long. Do you know how dangerous and effective we would be if we did that?