Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, August 24, 2009

Day Trip: Art and Music in Winston-Salem

Gigi and I had a marvelous time over the weekend as we ventured over to Winston-Salem, N.C. for the first time. Since it's only 1 1/2 hours from Charlotte, Winston-Salem is a perfect day trip for us.

We visited the Diggs Gallery at Winston-Salem State University first and looked at the African-inspired art of Charles Searles, a Philadelphia-born artist who says he is interested in "making work that feels integrated and crosses cultures.” An exhibition of Searles' work will be on display at the gallery until September 12. If you're anywhere near Winston-Salem, I highly recommend that you check out Searles rhythmic, stimulating and energetic pieces, which include sculptures, paintings, pencil and ink drawings.

After checking out the museum, my little lady and I headed over to Trade Street to do some shopping and eating. I picked up some unique jewelry in a couple of shops that reminded me of the "Hippie" spots that the TV character Monk says are in San Francisco.

We ended the evening enjoying a free Music Festival at Trade and Sixth Street (the Avenue of the Arts), which featured lively blues and jazz by a singer named Velma Houston and her band. Velma really knows how to put on a show -- she got several people up and dancing (some quite provocatively), to her music. What a treat!

Below are a couple of photographs of "found art" built into a wall on Trade street in Winston-Salem.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Happy Belated Birthday! Seems that you and Gigi had a good time in Winston Salem. One of my best friends from school lives in Winston Salem, not far from Winston Salem State College. She stopped by this summer on her way home and I fixed lunch for her and her husband. We met during Christmas at home for the first time in about 40 years. It has been good to reunite with her. I love the pictures you took. Winston Salem is a nice place. I will talk to you soon.
Love,
Auntie T

Cappuccino Soul said...

Hey Teedie,
Thanks!
I didn't know what to expect from Winston-Salem, but was pleasantly surprised. It was beautiful and they had lots of fun things to do for free!
Maybe I'll have to get your friend's name and Gigi and I can call or stop by and say Hi to her the next time we go there. I know we'll go back!
Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm glad y'all had a great time. I wish you would had told me, Abby and i could had returned and travel with you and Gigi. Anyway thanks for letting us crash at your place.

see you soon, Poochie

Cappuccino Soul said...

Hey Poochie!
Believe it or not, I decided to go to Winston-Salem just a day or two before we left. But it was well worth it! We'll definitely be back!

I'm glad Abigail's group won down in Atlanta! Go girl!

PLEASE visit again -- anytime! We love you!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Very good, maybe when I visit again I can go on an adventure with you girls. You seem to run into some of the most interesting places and you know I love art.


Madear

Cappuccino Soul said...

Yes, Madear. Winston-Salem is definitely a great find. You would love it!