Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, March 29, 2010

Giovanni’s Vegetable Gumbo Soup

Gigi was inspired to make a soup yesterday and came up with this recipe. She cooked it last night (with a little help from her mom) and it was a tasty delight!

Recipe for Giovanni’s Vegetable Gumbo Soup:

Two large potatoes (diced)
One and a half cup baby carrots (sliced)
A cup of mushrooms (sliced)
Two onions (diced)
Two tomatoes (diced), or one can of diced tomatoes
About 1/4 cup olive oil

As much of the following seasonings as you want: oregano, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, cilantro, parsley, curry and basil.

About 40 ounces of vegetable or chicken broth.

Place the vegetables in a big pot. Sprinkle the spices on the vegetables. Stir the spices and vegetables well before you put the chicken broth in the pot (that’s how Gigi likes to do it). Pour the broth in the pot. Stir some more and turn on the heat. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower to medium heat. Cook for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.

We had it for dinner last night and boy, was it good! I’ve got a little chef on my hands who says she may want to open her own restaurant one day.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's cool....Hmm, I may try this with my son, sounds really simple...He loves to help in the kitchen, but I am so afraid...It sounds sooo good...I love homemade soups and I imagine that was very tasty...The can stuff is for the birds!!!

Cappuccino Soul said...

You should try it with him! It's really simple -- Gigi actually did come up with the recipe herself. And yes, sometimes the canned stuff takes like the can!

Anonymous said...

All Right this is sweet…
Thanks Gi Gi
TA

Cappuccino Soul said...

I'll let her know you thanked her. You and Miguel should try it!
Alicia

Anonymous said...

How cute is she!!!!!! That sounds good! Way to go Gigi!!!
Stephanie

Cappuccino Soul said...

I'll tell her how impressed you were. You and Jalen should try it!
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
It sounds delicious. Tell Gigi she looks good in her chef's outfit and the soup sounds really good. You go Gigi!!
Auntie T

Cappuccino Soul said...

I'll tell her Auntie T! It'll make her smile.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

That sounds tasty!
A'D

Anonymous said...

Hey alicia,

How time does Fly! How old is she now! Wow, they grow up so fast! Be well, girl.

LAD

Cappuccino Soul said...

Hey Lisa!
It's good to hear from you. She's a whopping 7! We are well. Please send me an e-mail with some pictures of your "babies!"
:-)
Peace,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Iknow that it will be GiGi's Birthday when I come next month but you think that I can enjoy some of that soup. I can't believe that my grand daughter is cooing.

Love you much
MaDear

Cappuccino Soul said...

MaDear,
I'll tell her that you would like for her to make you some of that delicious soup of hers and I'm sure she'll do it!
Love,
Alicia