Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, January 07, 2008

Thoughts on Huckabee, Obama, and Hillary

I hate to admit this but I haven't really started paying much attention to the Presidential Primaries until now. Today I got a good look at Republican hopeful Mike Huckabee and the suave Senator from Illinois--Barack Obama on CPAN's coverage of the day before the New Hampshire primaries.

What struck me about Huckabee was his use of Star Parker (someone I had honestly never heard of until today). Parker gave a heartfelt and passionate endorsement and introduction to the former Arkansas governor. Star is a conservative commentator and founder of CURE, the Coalition on Urban Renewal & Education, a non-profit organization. Press releases and articles also repeatedly mention the fact that she was a single mother who was on welfare for a time.

Anyway, Star is really excited about her pal Huckabee. Let's see what she's so psyched about:

Huckabee is evidently all about equal education for all of America's children and pointed to the fact that he can give Ms. Parker a hug and not be chastised by anyone for it. (He's alluding here to the fact that Ms. Parker is black and he is white.)......OK??....... Huckabee also let it be known that he is "pro-life." He believes that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.

And here's a little something from Mr. Huckabee's Web site that tells me that even if I were persuaded to ever vote Republican, he wouldn't get my vote:

I support the $3 billion the Senate has voted for border security. This money will train and deploy 23,000 more agents, add four drone planes, build 700 miles of fence and 300 miles of vehicle barriers, and put up 105 radar and camera towers. This money will turn "catch and release" into "catch and detain" of those entering illegally, and crack down on those who overstay their visas.


(This money could be spent on fixing our education system, universal healthcare, and/or creating more jobs!)

Now for Obama.

I already know a lot about Obama as I'm sure many of you do. I read Dreams from My Father and I've been excited to hear a lot more from this candidate. Here are just a few tidbits of his speech in New Hampshire last night:

- Obama said a lot of politicians and the press are mocking him for talking so much about "hope." He said, "My father left me when I was two. My mother raised me to have hope." (Well alright!)

- He expressed concern about Global Warming and admitted that dealing with the climate changes in the world would be costly, but he's planning to address the issue.
( I just saw Al Gore's documentary An Inconvenient Truth, so I understand now what all the fuss is about.)

- Obama said he wants to make sure that we don't have any homeless veterans on the streets. (I'm hoping this extends to the other homeless individuals and families who cling to the streets because they don't have homes.)

- "I've seen this country led into war because of fear and falsehood." (You said it B.) Here's Obama's plan (from his Web site) for the war if he wins:

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.


And finally, a lot of people have criticized Hillary Clinton for crying today when she talked about her hard fight in the race, her love for the country and its people. Can't a woman express herself with a little emotion sometimes? Man!

When I told my 5-year-old daughter that no woman has ever been president of the United States and that if she's elected, Hillary Clinton would be the first woman president, she said it's not fair that a woman hasn't been president. "We need some women to be president too!" she said.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your commentary on the 2008 Campaign President Hopefuls. Keep researching, and try not to just focus on special interests. This Presidential campaign is the most exciting ever. Watching the candidates interact is like watching one of these reality T.V. shows. I think the candidates should be more specific about what their plans or programs are. I have not checked out the websites, but are they more detailed on what they are promising?

I am actually starting to feel sorry for Hilary Clinton, I think she is realizing that it is going to take much more than experience and gender to get her to the White House. I a still listening for her to say something that is not generic.

Obama!! I am still listening for how his hope and change for America will affect me. But there is something special about this guy. He seems sincere and consistent. Obama represents a new generation of politics, freshness.

Edwards - He is playing between Hilary and Obama, and not yet really standing out.

Republicans - Who cares? It is because of the Republicans that we need a change!!!!!

Joe said...

I did not understand the comment about hugging. It sounded like an implied reference to some other incident or person--and I just did not get the reference.

As a white male, I am reluctant to hug most of the women I know, because I assume they may not want to be hugged. But if the woman wants a hug, she gets it. If there is something wrong with that--or wrong with that when a politician does it--then I am just not "getting" what the issue or concern is.

Cappuccino Soul said...

Anonymous,
Thanks for commenting.
I will definitely keep researching. The CSPAN coverage that I watched yesterday got me excited about the campaigns of all the candidates.
I'm going to pay very close attention to Obama and Hillary because they seem the most exciting and prepared for the job.
I think it's important to follow what the Republicans are thinking and planning. It always good to know what all sides think.
Peace,
Alicia

Cappuccino Soul said...

Benalias,
Thanks for commenting.
Huckabee mentioned it because of the past tensions between the races, especially public displays of affection between blacks and whites. I just thought it wasn't necessary to bring up. For some reason, he did.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

Very good comments on the candidates. I too, have not been looking at the debates, etc. very much. I have been listening to the news after the debates and hearing what people are saying. I like Obama and Hilary and it is going to be a tough decision for me to make. I agree with Gigi, about a woman being president. Anyway, I think I need to start listening more on what these candidates are saying.
Auntie T

Unknown said...

I have been keeping current with the campaigns so far and they have had some interesting turns.
If nothing else this may be the most interesting presidential elections to date!!

It is shaping up to be a very interesting ride indeed!

Cappuccino Soul said...

Auntie T,
Your decision about whether to vote for Hillary or Obama might be made before you even have to vote. We all need to listen closely to what all the candidates are saying, I think.
:-)
Gigi is certainly wise for her age, huh?
Love,
Lisa

Cappuccino Soul said...

Regina,
Yes, this Primary season and the subsequent election time in November will be quite a ride. I'm looking forward to it! Let's get ready to have some deep discussions.
Peace,
Alicia

Joe said...

I do not mean for this comment to criticize something that may be out of your control, but I was wondering if you realized that Google has placed two ads on your page, one of which is a link to an extreme right-wing attack on Barak Obama by Human Events magazine. The other ad is a pro-Huckabee ad.

If there is a way to get the anti-Obama ad removed and something else substituted, then I would respectfully request that you get that changed. I have no idea whether this is possible or not.

Cappuccino Soul said...

Ben Alias,
I appreciate your concern. I had noticed some ads that I don't necessary like or agree with on in the margins of my site, but as you guessed--I don't have any control over it. I may decide to cancel the ads all together in the future. I haven't decided about that yet.
Thanks for commenting!
Alicia

Anonymous said...

Kerry for Obama! Wow! My vote is for Jak!

Anonymous said...

Alicia,
Keep following the race. I'm waiting to hear what Obama and Hilary have to say on some of the big issues.
Peggy R.

Cappuccino Soul said...

Peggy R.,
I will definitely be follwing this thing until the end. Let's get ready for a fascinating ride.
Alicia