Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Monday, November 22, 2010

Recipe: Mom's Macaroni and Cheese

Since a lot of you might still be deciding what you’ll cook for dinner this Thursday, I thought I’d share this family recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese with you.

About six years ago I asked Auntie Carolyn to share her recipe for macaroni and cheese with me. She wrote back with the instructions and said, “Actually, it’s your mom’s recipe.” So here’s my mom’s (Mary’s) recipe for macaroni and cheese via Auntie Carolyn – (also known as Auntie Teedie or Auntie T) – in Carolyn's own words, verbatim.

Mary's Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

1 box of macaroni
2 tablespoons of margarine
Dry mustard (if you have it. I don’t ever add this because I don’t have any.)
2 types of cheese (or how many you want. I use mild and sharp combination.)
Milk

In a sauce pan combine 2 tablespoons of margarine, dry mustard and 2 tablespoons of flour.

Cream together at a low heat, then add about 3 cups of milk (depending on how much you are making.) I usually use a medium size macaroni box, which makes a large casserole dish full.

After the milk has gotten warm, add in about a cup of grated cheese (combination of the two cheeses or just one kind). Cook this slowly so it will not scorch, until it thickens.

Boil water for your macaroni and then when it’s ready, drain and put the macaroni in a casserole dish. Add salt, pepper, and cheeses, which if you have bought in block form, you have already grated. Mix it good throughout your macaroni. I like to make sure I have it good and cheesy. Once your sauce has thickened, pour over the macaroni (you can put bread crumbs on top, if you wish.) Put in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.

Whala – Macaroni and Cheese.

For your family, you might not want to make this much -- just adjust your portions.

Thanks mom and Auntie Teedie. Needless to say, I’ll be cooking this for Thursday’s dinner. I've made it before and it turned out well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
I will be making this same recipe for Thanksgiving. I love it! I’ll have to tell Mae her recipe is being shared with others!
Auntie T

Cappuccino Soul said...

I'll tell her too! Thanks again and we love you!!!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to have a little taste of Mary's kitchen at my house. Thanks for the recipe, it's always nice to try something different.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!!
LOVE MaDear

Cappuccino Soul said...

MaDear,
Very good! I'm glad you're going to try it. Let me know how it turns out.
alicia