Cappuccino Soul

Cappuccino Soul

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Bumpy's Lament and The Ave


In remembrance of Isaac Hayes (August 20, 1942 - August 10, 2008) here is his song "Bumpy's Lament" from the soundtrack for the 1971 film Shaft. Hayes was awarded the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1972 for the "Theme from Shaft," making him the third African-American, after Sidney Poitier and Hattie McDaniel, to win an Academy Award. He also won two Grammy Awards that year for the Shaft soundtrack.

I'm following "Bumpy's Lament" with the song that I always hear after it ("The Ave" by The Holland Tunnel Project), no matter what radio, CD, or mp3 recording comes after it in reality -- because this is the song that I included on my mixed tape, when I was still enjoying my hobby of creating mixed tapes. "The Ave" is the logical followup to Hayes' song, but I'm curious to know if other people can hear it. Can you tell why I chose "The Ave" to follow "Bumpy's Lament"?



No comments: